Monday, January 23, 2012

Today is 12 days after Gregory's birth and the first day of Chinese New Year. It feels as though Gregory is more than 12 days old. I'm so used to his presence now. In fact, everything that is happening in my life at the moment is about him.
It is not fun at all to be in confinement during Chinese New Year. Temptations are many yet I must refrain myself from all those temptations for my own good. Actually, I really feel like having a sip of any form of Soda drink right now but I know I can't because the consequences will be really terrible. I also feel like taking some cold fruits and probably ice cream. The temptation last night was worse. I could not eat those delicious prawns served by my brother in-law. All I could do was just watch others enjoy it together with their Shandy while I felt the thirst in my mouth and tried to get comfortable despite feeling extremely warm.
So far Gregory has had 3 people visiting him over the past 3 days. His first visitor was little Lolo and her parents Jacqueline and Daniel. They brought him a big packet of Drypers plus an ang pow and gave me a bottle of Dome. The next day, our neighbors Pat and Joe dropped by and also bought him a big pack of Drypers and some food for me. Today, Sabrina dropped by with her mom bringing bathing essentials for little Gregory. So far we have been pretty lucky as all the gifts for Gregory have been very practical ones. Even those who gave the diapers bought the bigger sized ones so that Gregory will still be able to use them in the next few months.
To be honest, I can't wait for the confinement to be over and to get back on my feet again. For now, I still cannot fully carry Gregory yet as I am not very stable myself. I avoid carrying up and down the stairs for fear that I might trip on my own sarong and tumble down the stairs with Gregory. I also can't wait for confinement to be over so that I will be less dependent on others. For now i am not suppose to wash my hands with the tap water. It is so troublesome to be unable to do so. The old wives' belief that one should not wash their hands with the tap water is very true. Some time last week, I actually washed Gregory's bottles and exposed my hands to the tap water. After that, my fingers began to hurt and that joint pain has not left ever since. Kak Moon the urut lady said this is a bone problem and not because of wind. She said nothing much can be done to cure this problem. I fully regret washing the bottles on that day. I should have just played safe. Now I still wash Gregory's bottle but I use a tool to grip on the bottles and caps instead of my hand. Other than the joint pain I am generally recovering from the delivery. My womb does not hurt that bad now each time I sneeze and I am able to help myself out of the bed more easily. My stitches are also recovering well. I still have headaches and migraines sometimes but I believe that is due to the lack of sleep as Gregory sometimes stays awake in the middle of the night, making it impossible for us to sleep. I have another 18 days before confinement ends. God willing that I will be doing the right thing and eating the right food so that I will be up and well again and hopefully more energized that before.

2 comments:

Janice said...

I wore sarong for few days only and after that back to my long pants. It's much more convenient and comfortable. Not really a must to wear sarong. If possible make yourself comfortable. I was wearing short sleeves t shirt instead of pyjamas. I changed frequently but would put the clothes to dry before I wore for second time and then only send for laundry.
Have you taken your bath?

jennvaz said...

I'm wearing a sarong because my long pants are too warm to wear. I've been wearing short sleeves t-shirts too. Like you, I have to change frequently. I started to take my bath since the urut lady came. She insisted that I bathed before the urut session. Besides the nurses at the clinic would also hint that bathing was important. So each time I took Gregory to the clinic, I made it a point to bathe though i would sweat immediately after the bath. Honestly, I've not been enjoying my baths yet but then again I appreciate my bathes. Can't imagine how would I smell by now if I had not bathed. It's so warm. I use herbs to bathe so it is pretty troublesome because I have to depend on Leslie to get my bathing water ready.