Thursday, January 26, 2012

My son just shit on me. I was changing his diaper when he decided that he needed to poo again. It was disgusting. I guess this is something I have to bear with until he is able to wipe himself clean after he eases himself. This is the second time I had him easing himself on me. Last week, he urinated on the both of us but that was less disgusting, yet I don't look forward to experiencing it too often especially when I am all ready to go out or to work.

Last night, I had one of the best sleep in 15 days. Leslie was such a dear. He took Gregory to another room and slept there with him. Hence I was left undisturbed for 6 hours. It was such a luxury, something which I appreciated so much. Leslie has started to work again and I am learning to adjust to handling Gregory without his presence. Thank goodness my in-laws are still around as they help in the cooking as well as bathing Gregory. I am still unable to touch water directly from the tap and i try my very best not to expose myself to it hence their help is much appreciated too. I am starting to make myself more independent now in preparation to their departure. I washed the clothes today using the washing machine, I've swept and mopped the floor (I leave it for Leslie to throw the water away when he returns), put the laundry out in the sun and collect them so on and so forth. Even though these little housework are a few, it actually occupies rather a bit of my time as I try not too be too aggressive in my movements and yes I have to spend most of my time attending to Greg's needs.

A few things I have learnt so far from parenthood:


  • There is no U-turn - once you decide to have the baby, there's no turning back. You can't say I don't want the baby and reject it. Hence the only choice you have is to make the best out of parenthood.

  • Facing responsibilities- in the past, if I ever faced something challenging, I could easily avoid it by running away from the reality. Now that I am a parent, I cannot afford to do that anymore, I need to face it. For example, if I don't know how to burp the baby, I need to by hook or by crook learn to do it cause if i don't, who else would do it for me? I can't put his life in danger. Diaper change, as much as I hate it, I still have to do it, cause if I don't what is going to happen to my baby?

  • Sacrifice- I have not given so much of my time to anyone before and I am doing it now because I want to and also because the baby needs us.

These are just some of the things I reflected on. I'm sure more would come along the way. Parenthood is indeed a growing up process.

2 comments:

Janice said...

I'm quite ok I think, with Audrey's stool. She did shit on me too. Maybe her stool isn't smelly as she's on full breast milk.
The most frustrating thing for me is her cries at night which make me can't go back to sleep. When she's fussy she can get up crying like every half an hour or one hour. Thank God it happened not many times so far.
Looking at her I often feel like stop working and just stay at home look after her. This love is deeper than love between couples. But then of cos working and keeping in touch with outside world is mutually important. So besides my working time I'm always with her. As parents its truly not easy but God grant us enough grace and blessings to carry this burden of love.

jennvaz said...

Good for you Janice, you are adapting motherhood well. As for me, I am still adjusting.