Tuesday, October 28, 2008

A few weeks ago, during mass, I told mum to pray that Sokha would be a good person, someone who will be able to attend to our needs. Mum laughed. I guess she underestimated my seriousness, not expecting me to think about such matters. I believed mum did pray for Sokha turned out to be a fine person.
Sokha only knows a few English words. She knows ‘yes, no, you’ and nothing more. Despite this little setback, Sokha has managed to impress my hard to please mother. Eventually, I trust my parents will treat her like their own daughter. I actually wonder how did the agencies treat them prior to this and what kind of training was given to them. Sokha seems to know her responsibilities without being told what to do. On her second day of arrival, I found her waking up at 6am and cleaning the kitchen. I did not remember myself telling her to do it. I am impressed yet suspicious at the same time. I hope Sokha was well treated throughout her training. I’ve heard sad stories about agencies misusing foreign maids and I hope she did not experience it.
I am grateful for having Sokha around. Grateful that I don’t have any problems with her as of yet. I wonder how Sokha feels about living and working for us. Guess only time will tell. For now, I am a happy person. I am finally breathing.

No comments: