Monday, August 25, 2008

I’ve been a naughty girl over the weekend. I did not sit home and do my homework as I was suppose to. Sheila my friend is expecting her first child which is due next month and yesterday, both Oy Leng and I were invited to a family gathering at Sheila’s place. It was indeed an interesting experience. Both of us went to Sheila’s house not knowing what to expect. We were only told to go and no other explanation was given.
Apparently, it is an Indian tradition to have a ceremony one month before the delivery of the first born in the family. The ceremony is held to bless the pregnant mother so that she will experience a safe delivery and that the child will be healthy. Usually, those who attend this function are closely related to the family. The ideal gift to bring will be food like fruits and desserts for the mother. At the ceremony, every guest, usually the ladies will take turns to bless the soon to be mother with incense, holy water and bangles as a mark of support towards her as she prepares for motherhood. The significance of this act reminded me of the ‘Laying of Hands’ done during priestly ordinations’.
As a non-Indian, both Oy Leng and I were outstanding, awkward and confused at times but I was glad to be there. I thought it was a beautiful experience to see our friend being blessed and supported by those around her. It was comforting to know that there are many people who care and are concern towards her. Once a while, I felt envious because everyone were so cooperative and supportive. They walked into the house with much enthusiasm and everyone seemed to know what to do. Everybody was busy preparing for the ceremony in her own special way. To add more light to the whole atmosphere, Sheila’s husband who usually is shy and quiet made it very clear that he was the happiest man on earth.
We do not know if the baby in Sheila’s womb is a boy or girl. She wants to be surprised at the delivery. Yet, I am proud of my friend. I know that she will be a great mother. I wish both Christopher and Sheila the very best as they usher in a new member in the family.
Aish…….another reminder that I am now an adult, no more a girl.

No comments: