Thursday, June 19, 2008

When you speak vulgar.....

Whenever I enter a class, I practice the policy of no foreign languages. Of course sometimes, I’ll be a little lenient by allowing some to explain or teach their friends using other languages. When it comes to ordinary conversations or discussions, my students are only allowed to speak in English and no other languages. Some students enjoy it, because they get to speak broken English without being worried about others making fun of them. The only unfortunate thing is that their vocabulary is not too good and to make things worst, many of them seem to know explicit words better than other ordinary words. Perhaps it the type of books they read, perhaps it’s the type of website that they surf, I don’t know how they learned those words.
Today, as I was teaching, I overheard a boy saying ‘F%^#’ you. I announced to the class that I did not want to hear anyone using vulgar words in my class and all of them just smiled at me. Ten minutes later, I heard ‘F#@^’ you coming from the same boy again. I gave him a disapproving look to indicate that I heard him. Half an hour passed and I heard him utter another vulgar word. I did what I had to do. I gave him my dictionary and asked him to search for the meaning of that particular word and I made him do 10 sentences using that #*$@ word in it’s original meaning. Obviously, it was not easy.
I teach in eight classes, five of which are filled with very cheeky but good natured boys. They are said to be the most difficult to teach in campus due to their background. They are a nice bunch but sometimes they need to be taught some discipline. It is not easy to teach them, often, I get worn out teaching them for they really can be a handful. Sometimes they talk too much and nonsense in class but they are always well behaved. They are rarely late for class and they always pass up their assignments. They are not the cream of the crop but the honest truth is that I find fulfillment in teaching them because I see them progress in their studies every week. So most of the time when I am teaching AELE 0043, I walk in happily with a smile. They call me:- Teacher, Ah………not Teacher or Ms. Jennifer. Some funny ones will call me, Lecturer, Ah…..

No comments: