Thursday, June 19, 2008

Jaga Kereta

As many have said, I am an obliging person. I have this tendency to obey instructions even though I do not always agree with what I’m asked to do. Often, I do it willingly but there have been some experiences which frustrated me. Sometimes I get frustrated because of my own failure to reject unreasonable requests especially when it comes from strangers whom I don’t know.
I have no problems with street people. I agree that they have the right to decide on the kind of lifestyle they choose to live. However, I find it very annoying to have individuals who claim public properties as their own. I despise people who demand for parking fees on parking lots that they do not own. These annoying beings are found everywhere in Penang. The moment one parks their car on a non city council car park, these people will walk towards your car and expect you to give them a token for their so called ‘jaga kereta’. They have the cheek to scrutinize and criticize those who do not condone with their demands. All these while, I have been obliging towards these people. I give them what they expect because I fear for my own safety. I condone to their expectations but always feel frustrated after that for giving in even though I know that it’s wrong.
Things changed today when I parked by a roadside. I came back to my car only to find a man expecting me and my friend to pay for our parking. My friend said “ini tempat awam”, and he asked us to have pity on him. Prior to our encounter with him, my friend had told me that she was broke. I remembered our conversation when the man asked for the money and I asked myself why should my friend give him the money when she herself did not have enough to spend? And so, I spontaneously instructed my friend to go into her own car while I went into mine. Realizing that he was not going to get anything from any of us, that man knocked on my window and demanded that I paid, ignoring him, I started my engine, he grumbled and banged on my car, kicking my car he cursed and ridiculed me. I gave him an angry stare and drove off. Ahead of me was a police on petrol, I was tempted to report him to the police but I did not.
That encounter was a little scary but somehow, I was actually glad that I did not give in to that man. By the way, he smelled of alcohol.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

wah.. i feel scared...

u should bring a Light Saber out next time.

Chris Wee SJ said...

I do think they should be reported. After all, it's the new Penang now eh? hehe. You are lucky he did not scratch your car. That would be more costly than the one ringgit, if you were to give him. Anyway, I wouldn't play with those in KL because of this. Yes, they are in power over us if we continue feeding them this way as well.

jennvaz said...

I am actually going to write a complaint letter to I don't know who yet. Reporting that one particular guy would not stop the others. Usually I just give in, I don't know where I got the guts from to do what I did on Wednesday night but of course, I'm always careful with the person I'm dealing with.

Yes, I'm living in the new Penang, things seems to be better and I do hope they will comb these people off the streets. They definately tarnish our tourist industry.Interestingly, some of them can be stylish and charming in their approach.

Anonymous said...

did you delete my comment?

anyway, light saber is not a joke. my dad always asked me to carry this metal rod that can expand without one knowing by flinging it towards a target. unfortunately while i was at singapore, the custom confiscated it. :(

jennvaz said...

Hey drumsticks, I did not delete your comment, I just did not know that you sent a comment, I was not notified about it. Sorry.Light Saber, hmmmm......I shall consider that, meanwhile I should perhaps learn some kick boxing? Heheheh