Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Every motorcyclist’s nightmare is to be drenched on the road. As I was driving to work this morning, it rained heavily. Hundreds of motorcyclist were caught in the rain but many had to continue their journey in order to be on time for work or school. I felt sorry for these people and was very grateful to be driving a car instead of the bike.
What caught my attention was the sight of this father carrying his little girl on the bike. She sat in front of the bike with her legs in the basket while her dad tried his very best to shield her from the rain. I was very touched by what I saw. I’m sure that the father loved the little girl very much for he could have easily used the weather as an excuse to not send his daughter to school.
Sometimes we use the weather as an excuse to cancel appointments, to skip classes or important meetings. But this father, got himself all wet so that his little girl would not miss class. After leaving her at school, it will definitely be another wet ride home or to the work place for this man, yet he took the trouble.
Memories of my own school days came back when papa would send me on his bike to school and he would wrap my school shoes and school bag in the plastic bag so that they remain dry when I get to school. I never felt grateful at that time because most of my classmate’s parents did the same thing. Perhaps we took it for granted that it was a parent’s responsibility. I feel different today, thankful to have experienced my father’s love.

2 comments:

Iris said...

Your sharing touched me.Though i do not know how does a father's love feel like, i am grateful that i am surrounded by many blessings,friends who really journey with me throughout my ups and downs...I still remember during my primary and early secondary school years, how my mum and aunty sacrificed their precious sleep and willing to wake up very early in the morning, just to prepare breakfast for me;and make sure that i have enough food during recess.

Jenn, you are right, we often take things for granted as if they are always will be there...Certain happenings in life had told and knocked on my head that they are not...

Janice said...

I often think back how my parents had loved me, since I'm young. Yes, my dad is one of those fathers who would cover me from getting wet and letting himself exposed to the heavy rain.

He would wait under the hot sun for me to come out from tuition, from school. He would insist to let me have the car while he uses the bike.

And he would just sacrifice so much just because he loves me.