Monday, June 23, 2008

An accident happened right in front of my neighbor’s gate today. A car had knocked a motorcyclist down. When I opened my window to see, the motorcyclist was on the ground. It was dark and I could not see much, I only saw some figures. After switching on our main light, I walked out to check if everything was alright. The motorcyclist was bleeding, he was injured and his bike was damaged. From his conversation with the car driver, it sounded like the motorcyclist was at fault.
The driver was not injured but he seemed to be uninterested with the motorcyclist’s injury. He was telling him that he was wrong and constantly reminded him that his car was scratched and that he should pay. The poor motorcyclist kept wiping his wound with his hands, he was apologetic and did not even dare to look at his bike’s condition. A few people started to gather around the scene and I decided to walk away from the crowd.
I wouldn’t know how reckless the motorcyclist was but I thought perhaps the driver should have at least showed some concern towards the poor guy’s injury before he harped on the compensation. His car was an expensive car while the motorcyclist was obviously not rich. Yet the driver gave me the impression of a bully.
Yesterday, I met up with an ex-Tian Zhuan member. She commented that Penangites tend to be pretty calculative. I see some truth in her comment, if fact, I think what happened tonight could pretty much be a solid example.

No comments: