Tuesday, May 27, 2008

27 May 08

The experience yesterday was challenging. I taught in 3 classes yesterday, 1 an a half hours for each class, I had a good mix of students with a vast difference in their level of English competency.

For one of the classes, I had to deal with students who spoke almost perfect English, half of the class scored an A for English in SPM and a great majority of them came from English speaking background. In that class, I thought "God, just shoot me now!" One of them came to approach me saying, "actually teacher, I'm from XYZ School (a famous School in Penang), can I get exempted from this class? " To be honest, I did not want students like him in my class but of course, I don't have a choice because in the college system, everyone has to attend my class even though they may have gotten band 6 for their MUET. That class currently tops my list as the most challenging class for now. It's very imbalance. I have both the extremes in that class and I really wonder what kind of exercises I need to prepare for them as I do not want to push the weaker students too hard neither do I want to make the class boring for the competent students.

Thank goodness, as for now, that is the only problematic class for me, the other classes are not easy as well but I think I can handle them once I get adjusted to the environment. Yesterday was an exhausting day for me, today is going to be worst with 4 classes to teach in. Having learned from yesterday's encounter, I'm better prepared for today. I foresee a temporary halt to my social life for now. Until I get myself adjusted to this new environment, I'm going to be a workaholic.

No comments: