Thursday, April 17, 2008

I went to Nambucca with an anxious heart. It's difficult to put my experience into words, so there are the pictures to tell the story......

At Nambucca, I stayed at Marcus and Neil's house. They live in a simple town house. You can see the coast from their house, the scenery is really beautiful. It was my first time meeting Neil. He is a nice man, a graphic artist from Gold Coast. I felt awkward initially, to be staying with two men in a house, but they really made me feel at home.


This is the Nambucca River, the town is named after this River which means "Crooked River" in Aborigine language. Most places in Australia are named in Aborigine language, that's why they sound a little odd and can be hard to pronounce



The river is rich with Oysters, many of these oysters are sold in Sydney. Though they are found all year round, locals encourage to only consume these oysters during certain months as they may be polluted due to the change of weather conditions.


Besides, the Oysters, Nambucca is also unique because of it's beach, the beach is full of these black rocks which are said to be a result of Volcano eruptions many years ago. The Volcano is no more active but it has left the area very furtile. During certain months, the whales pass through Nambucca and if you are lucky, you may be able to see them and their blowholes. Another common visitor to this coastal area are the dolphins.


My cousin and Neil owns a farm on the mountains near Nambucca. By profession, Marcus is a nurse but he has taken up farming as a part time. We bought some seafood up the mountains to enjoy. I had a dozen of Oysters for breakfast. It was delicious to eat it with the lime grown in the farm



These are the limes we picked. It's very large, almost the size of oranges. It's very juicy and taste something between lemon and orange, a lovely combination to have with the Oysters. It was no easy to pluck these fruits off the tree initially because they are thorny and we did not bring the right instruments to pluck, we ended up giving the tree a good shake.

Here's a view of the valley from the farm and that good old truck belongs to Marcus and Neil, very old but tahan lasak. It can drive through plants and small trees. I thought it was scary initially but got used to it after a while



These are macadamia nuts. It is also grown in the farm. These nuts are one of my favourites but they are very expensive. Macadamia nuts are one of the most difficult nuts to crack, forget using a hammer to open it, it does not work.

Ah, this is Oscar, their pet dog. He is well loved by them. Oscar has killed around 8 snakes. He eats two eggs per day in addition to his dog food. Oscar responds like a human being. I like him but because he is not that young anymore, he can be pretty lazy at times, needs to be carried off the truck.





These are Oscar's best friends, actually Oscar is afraid of them. These steak cows belongs to Marcus and Neil,there are eight of them all together. Very tame and they look really healthy. Here's Marcus trying to have a good conversation with them and of course, Oscar feels more secure to be with his daddy.

So I guess it's very much obvious that I had a good time. We also went to a pub called "No Beer Pub". They brew their own beer and we were not sure which one to buy, so we asked if we could try. They let us taste the different products and by the time we decided on the beer we liked, we were half drunk. I really felt bad. oh yeah, I finally tasted Crocodile meat. I had it in a pie. It's white meat, taste like something between chicken and fish.
I'm done with Australia, am looking forward to seeing Malaysia again.

2 comments:

Chris Wee SJ said...

I love the river(?). Reminded me of Sicily when the sea was so so blue that I could just sit there for the day and watch the waves playing on the rocks. Bring back some oysters? Too expensive here. haha.

jennvaz said...

I could bring you the oysters if you want to end up in UH for a few days hahahah...
The sea is something i will definately miss when I leave this place and the waves are so facinating.