Monday, April 28, 2008

27 April 08

I went to church this morning. Dad and mom can be insensitive, they sometimes block the road, a car was reversing into the parking lot when my dad walked into the lot and stood still watching me help my mom out of the car. The driver stopped and waited for me to move him away. He did not honk, he just waited. When we walked into the church, I bumped into the driver, he just smiled at me in the most friendly manner. I felt so happy, happy to know that people can be so kind.
During mass, a warden walks to my mom and tells her and dad to not queue during communion as the Communion will be brought to them. We don’t know these people but they seem to understand the difficulties my parents have and they always try their best to make things easy for them. Dad with his dementia often makes surprising remarks and comments but people tend to be understanding and respond to him in the most comforting manner instead of walking off ignoring him.
I am grateful to meet such kind people, they help me to be positive and not be discouraged by my dad’s condition. We are strangers yet, they bring a little bit of sunshine into our lives.
It’s now my turn to see what can I do for others. I have aging parents who are sick but I guess it’s no excuse for me not to do my part in society. Not now maybe but once I get myself adapted to Penang and a job, I ought to do my part.
Fr. Fabian said in his homily today that whenever there’s challenging moments, we have two choices. The first one would be to just shake your hands and head and say “aiyoh or haiyor or alamak” and continue shaking. The other option we have is to roll up your sleeves and start cleaning the mess. I find the shaking of hands and head very tiring and it creates misery. So the rolling of sleeves suit me better. At least I don’t have the mess clinging on to me for the rest of my life (hopefully lah)

3 comments:

Chris Wee SJ said...

Life is pleasant. Life is kind. Life is . . . full of unpredictability and surprises. I don't envy where you are now but perhaps it will be something you will never forget because the situation you are in now is teaching you about life more than you have had over the past (how many?) years.

When my brother and sister-in-law had to look after my nephew in GH over the number of years, I believe they have learnt so much about God and theology than I had. These are the 'difficult' and not forgetting painful experiences as well in seeing them going through the various moments of life and trying to accept it. If you are able to take it well, you will see life in a wider scope than many of us.

Anonymous said...

Such nice people!!! I was walking out of church one morning, tripped and fell flat on my face, bleeding and all...and everyone just walked past, giving me disgusted looks!!! None helped me to get up!!! I wonder why they bothered to go to church....

jennvaz said...

Hi Fr, I recieved this from Dora long time ago, it said...
"We are more wounded and broken as we grow, that's why we will never be the same again, but it is only through brokeness we discover the diamonds of our life"

Mr. Sui, I feel sorry that you experienced that, it's such a shame that people actually behave that way, I guess it all boils down to our personal intentions of going to church.