Monday, April 28, 2008

26 April 08

Beep, beep, beep….Jennifer, Jennifer, Jennifer….I rushed out to find Uncle Lim on his bike. “ So, tomorrow, you are going to take your parents to Church hor?”
While I had been away, Uncle Lim has been bringing my parents to Church every Sunday without fail at least for the past two years. Many people call him “Kay Poh Chee” (means busybody) but many old folks in our neighborhood would have been left miserable if not for him. He knows who is lonely and helpless and constantly needs help. In his “Kay Poh Chee” manner, he brings cheer into the hearts of many. Even when someone passes on, Uncle Lim is there to help unfaithful children with their lonely parent’s funeral arrangement without passing any judgmental remarks. He brings comfort and security to many.
Before he rode off on his old bike, Uncle Lim said “if you need any help ah, don’t feel shy to ask you know, just call me, even if it’s 1am, 2am, don’t worry. Call my house phone first but if no one answer then call my hand phone, you have my number hor? I know it is not easy for you so don’t be afraid to ask for anything. Me and Aunty Ivy is around to help, we always keep you in prayer you know, cough, cough. Cough…” and he rode his bike away.
I really felt like crying when he said those words. Somehow he makes me have those self pity feelings because his words are always so comforting. He is not rich, with no proper car (my Proton is in a better condition than his own car), he smokes like a chimney but he is what a Catholic ought to be, forever faithful to the one above. Mind you, he is a convert and his wife is not yet a Catholic.

No comments: