Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Got extra blood to spare?

I woke up this morning to find an sms from the blood bank in UM. It was their second sms to me since I came to Sydney. The blood bank is in urgent need for blood especially "O" and "A" type. I wish I could help them but I can't. Nevertheless, I hope all of you who are reading this post could perhaps consider doing society a favor? It is the easiest way to save a life.

If you have never donated blood before, don't worry, there are no side effects neither does the drawing of blood cause any pain. It is not disgusting to see your blood flowing out either. I first donated blood on my 18th birthday, it was a wonderful experience, I'm sure you will feel the same too.

The blood bank opens during office hours from Mon - Sat. Kindly make sure that you have had at least 5 hours of sleep on the night before and do not go with your stomach empty neither should you over eat before you donate. Drink lots of water to replenish your body fluid and everything else will be all right.

If you stay out of PJ area, don't bother going all the way to UMMC, you can go to the nearest government hospital near your home or if you want you could also go to the national blood bank at Jalan Tun Razak. Although all hospitals welcome blood donors, I would encourage you to donate in government hospitals and not private ones because the government does not charge patients for you blood while private hospitals usually charge their patients, besides, the government provides medical benefits for blood donors.

Here are some websites for references

Pusat Darah Negara: http://www.pdn.gov.my/kh_pendermaan.html

University Hospital: http://www.ummc.edu.my/

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the info.. haven't donated before actually. can a person with low blood pressure donate blood? our campus always have blood donation drive and never tried before. Will want to try it out one day.

jennvaz said...

Oh Mary, have you tried asking? But if you are underweight and have anemia, you can't donate blood, regarding low blood pressure, I'm not too sure. Well, you will never know many things unless you try it. My two cents.
So are you curious enough to check it out?

Anonymous said...

the next time will try it out.. got too much of blood to be kept to ourselves.. muahaha..