Monday, February 25, 2008

The great Cunard Ships

24 Feb 08

Since I arrived at Sydney, people have been talking about it. The news, has been constantly reporting about it, there have been documentaries about it. Today is a historical day for the people of Sydney. Thousands of people gathered at the Sydney Harbor to bid farewell to “QE2” the ship. Having served the wealthy cruise travelers for 40 years, “QE2” docked at the Sydney Harbor for the very last time before leaving to stay permanently in Dubai as a luxurious hotel.
QE2


Queen Victoria Upclose

To make it even more significant, its sister ship, “Queen Victoria” was also present at the Harbor. At 6pm today, the two Cunard Queens met in Sydney Harbour both ships crossed each other right in front of the Sydney Opera House. “Queen Victoria” is a much newer ship. At 90,000 tonnes, Queen Victoria is equivalent in tonnage to 80 Manly ferries, 160 fully laden Airbus A-380 super jumbos, or 825 blue whales. Queen Victoria is almost 20,000 tonnes heavier than the QE2. Again, it’s the first time I came so close to a ship this big. (I know, I’m like very “sam pat”) Queen Victoria can accommodate 2000 passengers and 1018 crew. QE2 has room for 1778 passengers and 1016 crew. Cunard is the shipmaker for Titanice by the way. Amazing hor?


Why Sydney Harbor some may ask, well, the ocean is deep enough for a ship this big to dock. Though what happened today was a historical event, I am not overly excited that I was there. I am glad that I was there, but I would not cry if I had missed it hahaha. Yet, I am grateful to be at the right place, at the right time.

No comments: