Saturday, January 26, 2008

It's about CIKU

21st January 08

I love fruits. As usual, I’m always different from others and yes things that I usually go gaga over are not easily available. This is one of my favorite fruit. It’s called Ciku not Cikgu. (yeah when we were in school, we used to call our teachers Ciku whenever we felt naughty)

Ciku is a seasonal fruit and is not loved by everyone. Why? Because it has a sandy texture and sometimes the fruit produces latex that leaves your mouth sticky and sometimes the centre of the fruit may be bitter.

Despite all these, I still love ciku. It’s sweetness is indescribable and the satisfaction that I get each time I feast myself with this fruit is addictive, I crave for it whenever I think of Ciku.
My sister is fond of Ciku too and my neighbor is aware of it. That’s why she gave us one bag full of Cikus. My neighbor’s ciku tree produces one of the best cikus in town. Look at its size, it’s big and juicy and yummy.

About Ciku
  • eat the fruit only when it’s ripe. It’s not like mango or papaya. Don’t expect it to taste like a jeruk when it’s raw, raw ciku taste horrible, trust me.
  • A ciku is ripe when it’s a little bit soft. If the fruit is hard, leave it. Resist, patience will pay off. To help ciku ripen sooner, put it in the rice bucket. It helps.
  • A ripe ciku is brown on the inside, if it’s greenish or creamy looking, that means the fruit is not ripe yet.

1 comment:

Janice said...

I had a ciku tree in my garden when I was a kid. I love this kiwi-like fruits, before I was introduced to kiwi.
It's been many years i've not tasted the ciku since the tree was chopped down, until i tasted it again in The Farm. Oo I miss it