Saturday, January 26, 2008

Attractive food.....yummy?

20 Jan 08

My sister had been away from Shawn and his dad for a week and she wanted to get them a gift. Walking up and down “Queensbay Mall” we had no idea of what to get Shawn. My sister had no plans to spoil her son with some expensive toy, all she wanted was to get him something simple, just enough to make the curious little boy happy.
Suddenly, we saw this rat.


“Do you think it’s plastic or is it a sweet?” I asked my sister.
“Don’t know lah, it looks like it can be eaten”
“I wonder how much is it? If I’m Shawn, I think I’ll be delighted to have a sweet like this”
My sister agreed.


There were three rats. The single rat costs RM 5, a bigger but more complicated looking rat cost RM 10 while a double rat cost RM 15. My sister asked for the RM 5 rat. And the man started to make the rat. Honestly, both of us were fascinated by the rat ourselves and we were curious how it was made, never in our life had we seen a sweet as interesting as this.


And so, our candy seller scooped some sticky candy from the box with a little stick, then, HE PUT THE CANDY IN HIS HAND, AND USED HIS BARE HANDS TO ROLL THE CANDY INTO A BALL. I stared at him, I was shocked. Did he even wash his hands I wonder? I looked at my sister; honestly, I didn’t think it would be a good idea for Shawn to even put the candy into his mouth.


It was not over yet. After he had formed the little candy ball, he pulled the candy, pulled the tip of the candy and PUT THE TIP INTO HIS MOUTH AND STARTED TO BLOW THE CANDY! Yes that was how that little RAT was formed. My jaw dropped open; I could see clearly that my sister was shocked to. We grinned at each other.


I guess our reaction made the candy maker loose his concentration, the crowed around his stall was getting bigger and he just wanted to get rid of both of us, he took the RM 15 candy on display and gave it to my sister, taking only RM 5 from her. We left as fast as we could, we could not hold our laugher anymore.


So, next time you see an attractive food, it’s good to imagine or at least know how it was made. I for sure would be a bit skeptical towards food that came from certain regions but I shan’t reveal what I think because I might be wrong and it will be unfair towards some people.
Anyway, one of the little rats did not survive the journey, it melted. Maybe because my sister pinched it hahaahahahaha.


No comments: