Friday, January 30, 2009

This is what I do to pass my time whenever I'm free. Every morning, I will walk into my garden to appreciate what has been grown. It's really nice to see these plants grow. I'm currently very excited about the bitter gourd. It's really fascinating to see it grow each day. Next to the gourd is the vegetable the chinese call 'wang ti chai' I don't know what you call it in English. It is delicious when cooked with sambal but I prefer to just stir fry it with garlic. Below the 'wang ti chai' is the lady's finger plant. I have more than 10 lady's finger trees in the garden. The lady's finger (okra) is tasty when eaten fresh. Usually in the mornings, I'll pluck 1 from the tree, rinse it with water and eat it straight away. It is crunchy and sweet when eaten raw. Good for the bowels but of course, I would not encourage one to eat raw ladies fingers that are bought from the market as it is not crunchy and fresh anymore, besides, it may have pesticides. The other plant which I love to eat it raw is the 'Oriental Basil'. It's easy to grow and a beautiful plant to have in the garden. It's commonly used in Vietnamese and Thai food. I love to eat it with sambal, like how ulam is eaten. So here's basically a mini introduction to my little vegetable garden. I have other plants too which I might just introduce to you in future. As much as I like vegetables, I have divided my garden to two parts which is the vegetable garden and the garden for flowers. I like to have colors in the garden. At the moment, my garden lacks of flowers, one of the reasons why the flowers are not growing too well is because of Brandy. She has done much damage to my plants. Here's one of the survivors of 'Brandy attack'- the Bunga Raya plant. I actually planted two other types of 'Bunga Raya' but Brandy ate them. I'm determined to grow the Bunga Raya again, for now, I'm working on the Alamanda first.


No comments: