Thursday, October 30, 2008

My class representative was appointed at the beginning of the year by the class and until today, our friend has not been relieved from his duties. He did not volunteer for the task, he just did not know how to say no. This guy is not an ideal student, he is sometimes blur and does not excel in his studies, yet, he never skips lessons and like many, he dreams of graduating with a good qualification. It's been four weeks since I became his lecturer and I see him serving the class well. He is responsible in attending to the welfare of his classmates.

As a result of his commitment towards his role, he has failed to be a good student in my class. He is physically present but mentally he is not. He is always worrying about his responsibilities as a class representative. He looks messed up and is always doing his class duty whenever I give them exercises. At the moment, he is one of the weakest students in my class yet he is doing nothing about it because his time is committed to class responsibilities. He told me that he is so busy because nobody wants to help him and I believe him.

It is interesting that despite having many classmates, no one seems to be willing to help to ease his burden. Everybody wants to be served but no one wants to help. They want convenience but no one wants to contribute. I find this such a shame, and I see this as how our future is going to be.

We love to complain and criticise others but when it comes to acting, no one wants to lift a finger. Everyone would rather sit and watch and let others do the job. My class is going to kill their class representative one day and no one seems to care at all. In the midst of his business today, he forgot to do something. Everyone collected their own notes and signed their attendance but he was too busy and he forgot. Yet no one told him or reminded him or help him collect the notes.

Will he stop being the class representative? I doubt it, because no one will be willing to take over.

2 comments:

mel said...

what does a class rep hav to do?

jennvaz said...

He represents the class, liase with the office and lecturers, ie notes, class funds, notices....etc...every class rep has different responsibilities, some classes share the burden, some don't. Some lecturers ask for the class representative help alot while some don't.