Monday, September 08, 2008

Recently, I discovered that a friend converted to another faith. I was sad about it. I wondered why did he convert. As I sought affirmation from others, I learnt that not only did this friend convert but a few other friends had converted as well in different occasions. I am rather disturbed by my discovery. I felt a little hurt because we used to share our faith life with each other in the past.
I don’t know these people who converted very well but I regard them as my friends through my encounters with them. As students, we journeyed together to discover who God is. Learning about their conversion makes me wonder what went wrong along the way? Why did they not continue to feel God’s presence in the Church? Is it because of culture? Is it because of language? Why could they not find friendship at all within the Church? What is it that is so attractive about the other religion? These questions always linger in my head whenever I hear of someone converting to another faith.
I have friends of different faith and I respect them. In fact, I enjoy learning about different religious beliefs and cultures. I am often fascinated by the different religious practices and I often walk into temples and prayer ceremonies to observe and learn. However, I have difficulty accepting the actions of my Catholic friends who convert to another religion. I do not hate them. I just cannot understand why they swap Christ for another faith.
I know no one would really be able to answer all those questions asked. Perhaps, I might understand it some day. For now, I feel sad. The feeling is as though my own sister/ brother disowned my family and calls another man Papa instead of my father. The pain is even greater when the person, at one point, helped me to grow in my faith.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So sad, JennV. I wonder why too... [Isaac]

Anonymous said...

Heard of this by Gandhi, " I love Christianity but not Christians".

When you hear of someone leave the religion dont you think that it has something to do with us???

Have we been really honest with the way we treat everyone, or has there been some reservation in terms of race, looks, status so on and so forth!!!

jennvaz said...

When you hear of someone leave the religion don’t you think that it has something to do with us???

-When I hear of someone I know leaving the religion, I somehow feel responsible about it. I ask myself if I have been insensitive towards the needs of my friend. Thoughts of 'I wish I had' would come mingling in my head.
But then again, a question we also need to ask ourselves is whether our faith life is 'God' centered or 'friends' centered.

Have we been really honest with the way we treat everyone, or has there been some reservation in terms of race, looks, status so on and so forth!!!
-It takes two hands to clap. You can't force a person to be your good friend if they don't want to. Sharing must exist between friends. If you don't share and communicate, how can you expect your friend to understand you. Can you blame a friend for neglecting you if you do not express your needs?
Walk into a Church, smile and talk to everyone and see how many people really respond to your friendliness. Would you continue to persuade all the people who do not respond? You might just be intruding their privacy. Of course, ideally, the Church should be a place where people are friendly with each other but we must also understand the reality, that some people enjoy being private.

Heard of this by Gandhi, " I love Christianity but not Christians".
- If you are a Christian, you should know that loving Christ means loving your enemies as well.