Monday, September 22, 2008

Last year, my phone turned ugly due to my constant carelessness. I often dropped my phone from tables, beds and chairs. Despite its scars, I still loved my phone as it had been serving me well and was easy to use. I did not have to be extra gentle and careful with it because it was already scarred. I was proud of the phone because it matched with my personality of being simple. It did not have a radio or camera. It's main functions were to make and receive calls plus sms. I never felt ashamed using that phone, in fact, I felt proud. Proud because I had yet to follow the crowd by owning a camera phone.
A few months ago, this good ol' phone started to show signs of aging, the 'on' button of the phone started to chip off. Last month, something else happened and I could not even make ordinary calls using the handset speaker, I had to use the loudspeaker instead. It was a sign that my phone was going to breakdown and I should be making preparations by hunting for another phone. And so, I went shopping for a phone. My original budget was RM 300 and below and I found two phones.
This model is the cheapest. It is below RM 200 it has all I need which is to make and receive phone calls plus sms BUT, the memory space is very limited, more limited than my old phone, in other words, I might have to even delete some numbers from my phone book.
Before I went to the phone shop, I actually had a mind to buy this model. It is the 2nd cheapest after the above model. Actually Leslie is currently using this model and I thought it looks pretty cool. It has additional functions like the camera, radio........ I nearly bought this phone when Oy Leng asked me if I was sure. I changed my mind because I was scared that I would regret it after that. The phone cost around RM 300 but again the memory space is limited. I might end up feeling frustrated over it because: 1. The phone has a camera but limited memory space. In other words, I will have to be always deleting things from the phone to make space and it can be very frustrating. 2. The camera is less than 1 mega pixel. The quality of the picture taken is not going to be good. Again, I might end up feeling frustrated. It's like having a gadget that is redundant.
I ended up buying this model 3100. It is slightly over my budget. I chose this model because it was the next cheapest model with enough memory in store. The camera is 1.3mega pixel, not great but still better than the other phones. The sales person has uploaded some songs for me but I only liked a handful of the 200 over songs that he uploaded. I will most likely delete most of it because I don't identify myself with those songs. I'm still new to this gadget and am learning to use it. I might actually download a bible into the phone. My program supervisor has one in her phone and it seems to be pretty much handy especially when we are travelling.
So much about being simple, I do not own a camera-less phone anymore. This is how one gets indulged into spending extra and doing away with the simplisity of life, getting the things that you do not need because it all comes in a package.Sigh......

No comments: