Tuesday, April 01, 2008

This gulab jamun, smelled and tasted like the gulab jamun I fell in love with twenty five years ago. For twenty years, I have searched for this familiar taste and had found no contentment in any of the gulab jamuns found in the market no matter how much I paid. Today, in Cleveland Street, in the midst of Surry Hills, I finally found my Gulab Jamun. It had the Punjabi touch. It tasted similar to the one our Punjabi neighbor used to give us during Deepavali until she passed on. Oh my, I savored every bit of it, carefully rationing every bite of it, leaving some for tomorrow and the day after tomorrow.
How does it taste? Indescribable! Sensationally wonderful to the tongue!
It took me twenty years to find a shop that sold such lovely and authentic gulab jamun, no shop in Malaysia had satisfied me this much, therefore if you don’t like the taste of gulab jamun, blame it on the shops, I had to throw away many gulab jamuns before this because it was filled with syrup and flour and was no where near to it’s original taste.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What's a gulab jamun? A dessert?

jennvaz said...

Yes, it is an Indian sweet, very rich, made with milk and sugar and ghee....usually found in Indian restaurants, it's served like laddhu, an Indian sweet served during weddings