Monday, April 14, 2008

The Dark Room

Since leaving KL, I began to read again. It was a challenge initially, with so many distractions around me especially the 'idiot box'. I started off by finishing two books in a month and when I came to Sydney, Bob encouraged me to read more. Thanks to the library here, it was not difficult to get hold of good books to read. And so, I've been on a R.K Narayan marathon. It is not very addictive though (for not all his works are ultimately fascinating) but it's a good past time, it had my brains thinking.

After finishing "The Memoir" I went on to read "The Dark Room" a story with no ending. I was left frustrated but I really liked the first half of the book. It was written from a woman's perspective and I thought it was good because R.K himself is actually a man. I wonder how would an Indian man respond to "The Dark Room". The book is about the relationship between an Indian couple whereby the wife is dutiful to the husband and the children while the husband on the other hand is a successful business man who believes that as the head of the family, he is never wrong. The book also touched on the Indian culture and how sometimes culture contradicts with human rights.


Now that I'm done with the "Dark Room", I'm hoping to complete "The World of Nagaraj" before I leave Sydney.

4 comments:

mel said...

his name is familiar but i don't think i've seen any of his books here. unlike naipaul. strange, huh?

& maybe in a way, that's a blessing in disguise for me because so many books, so little time ... haha

did you hear, they are closing / have closed the British Council library in KL.

jennvaz said...

You may find one of his books in the market, it's called "The Guide"
Closing of british council library? Why? Not shifting anywhere? Hmmmm...no comment.

mel said...

From what I heard, it was expensive to stock the library, etc. So BC decided to focus their funds elsewhere. Sad that we don't have any good libraries in KL.

jennvaz said...

Hmm...a lost to people who appreciate books. I guess it's also probably because there are not many people who use the library, Malaysians don't read enough. I know of someone, a highly educated person who has never read a novel.