Wednesday, March 12, 2008

According to my computer’s dictionary, the word Gang means,
people who enjoy each other's company: a group of people with similar interests who like to spend time together

However, the word could also mean,
group of trouble-making young people: a group of young people who spend time together for social reasons and may engage in delinquent behaviour

group of criminals: a group of people who work together for some criminal or antisocial purpose

group of workers: a group of people working together, especially a group of labourers

set of tools: a set of tools or devices arranged to be used or operated together

In other words, the word gang can bring on to different meanings and it is left to its user to define what it really means.

I used the word gang this morning to describe a group of friends and I was taken aback by the response. I was being misunderstood. It was assumed that I was trying to portray that group of friends negatively, as if I was indicating that they were being cliquish and chose to be antisocial. I never meant that way. I used the word gang because I was too lazy to name every member of that group of friends, so I used the word gang to simplify things.

As for now, I am confused, did I use the wrong word? All I said was “I’m sure your gang is as happening as they can be”…gheeee……perhaps I should have just kept my mouth shut.

2 comments:

mel said...

Maybe it's a cultural thing? Like in Malaysia, "quite" is often used to mean "very", while in NZ, it means "a little".

jennvaz said...

....perhaps