Sunday, January 27, 2008

Thaipusam

23 January 08


Today is Thaipusam. Thaipusam is a very big event here in Penang. I remember the chariot passing by my school on the eve and on the day after Thaipusam. Devotees would follow along the procession whilst others waited along the roadside waiting to pay homage to the Hindu God.

As a kid, I loved Thaipusam. I always found the processions fascinating and had always wished that my parents would bring me to the temple where the Kavadi bearers were pierced. Of course it never happened as my mum said it’ll be silly to be caught in the congestion and squeeze through the crowds.

When I moved to KL, I was surprised that people were not excited at Thaipusam as the Penangites. Nobody seemed to be bothered about it. Of course there’s the big celebration at Batu Caves but none of my KL friends were excited enough to check it out.

I had things to do today so I did not go and observe Thaipusam at the Waterfall Road but I wish to go the next year. I hope Leslie will be around by then to join me. I want to understand why it does not hurt when the Kavadi bearers are pierced, I understand the faith of the Hindus, to appreciate what others believe in.

Yes I am a curious cat.


(Ever wondered why all these piercing never left wounds?)

No comments: