Sunday, January 27, 2008

Fr. Matthew Bun's Ordination

25th January 08



For the 1st time in my whole entire life, I attended an ordination of priesthood. This morning, Deacon Matthew Bun was ordained as a priest. I cannot really identify why I was so excited about this whole event but I was really happy to be there.
There were a few reasons to why I had to be there. 1stly, Deacon Matthew is my friend's brother, a reason for me to show my support. Secondly, for the very first time, someone from our parish was ordained as a priest; another reason for me to show my support. Thirdly, I have never seen a priestly ordination before therefore; I should at least attend one to understand how special the sacrament of Holy Order was.

My mum commented on how well dressed Deacon Matthew's parents were. Well, they should, it's their son's special day, he was to be married to the church, why should they not be dressed for it? I was deeply touched by the whole rite of ordination, when the litany of the saints were sung, I nearly shed tears (again, I can't explain why, the tears just nearly flowed). I looked around and realized that many ladies were touched too, many were wiping off the tears. I was also touched when the entire priest present laid their hands on the deacon followed by the kiss of peace. A sign of unity and brotherly acceptance of Deacon Matthew into the brotherhood of priests.

During the ordination, I wished my students were there with me to observe this auspicious event. I had also wished that my non- Catholic Christian friends were there to see the whole ordination process. Perhaps they might appreciate the role of our priest better just as I learned today?

Through this ordination, I realized how sacred and special the holy order was. Now I understand what great big responsibility a priest had and how holy he was. Now as his journey as a priest begins, I pray that Fr. Matthew will be a good priest, blessed with God’s graces as he serves God and his people.


(Source of photo is from the internet)

No comments: