Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Kesian?

After spending the whole afternoon baking cookies, Isaac, Pris and myself decided to go to Pasar Malam, since we had extra space in the car, we invited Joo Ming (he had been searching for companions to join him to pasar malams since last Thursday) and Siew Wen to join us.

While having our dinner at the "Medan Selera" 3 different beggars came at different instances to beg for money. I really felt uncomfortable each time they came. I don't believe in giving money to beggars but having them to stand by my side and watch me eat while I ignored them really made me feel guilty. Though I felt guilty, I could not find a good reason to why i should give them money.

As we walked along the pasar malam after dinner, we bumped into more beggars, some were crawling on the road even, I could easily say that there were at least 10 beggars in that pasar malam that night. I like the pasar malam at SS2 but sad to say, my encounter with the beggars really spoilt my little outing. It hurts me actually to see these people begging. I found it very disturbing to see so many people begging. Many questions pondered in my head. Among those are

1. Why do they have to beg when they can work and earn money?
2. Was it a syndicate that is controlling the beggars?
3. How do those who crawl on the street begging find courage to live on? in the 1st place, how did they find their way to the pasar malam?
4. If our country is developed, why then are there this much beggars on the street?

No comments: