Tuesday, November 13, 2007

I was scammed!


Was it a scam?

During Deepavali, I received a call from Hong Kong. The caller claimed that the company she represented was going to open a branch soon in Malaysia and they are currently running a survey on the Malaysian market. Since the conversation was in Mandarin and my mandarin was half pass six, I only managed to understand and answer briefly to the conversation. Towards the end of our conversation, she invited me to the company event which will be held in Genting on Sunday. She also told me that since I answered her questionnaire, I was entitled to join in their lucky draw competition.

On Sunday evening, I received another call from her, asking me why I had not gone to Genting. She said that I had won a prize at the lucky draw and asked me if I could go to the event within half and hour to collect my prize. I told her that it was impossible and she told me that her collogue will call me again the following day to make arrangements for me to collect my prize.

This morning, I received a call and was told that I had won one of the grand prizes and the prize was cash worth RM 50,000. For a while, I was shocked and overwhelmed. It sounded too good to be true. How can I so easily win RM 50,000 by just answering questions? The girl who announced the good news to me told me that her collogue will call me afterwards to help me collect my prize. When her collogue called, guess how did she want to give me the prize money. She asked me for my bank account. I told her that the best way of giving me the prize was actually through cheque and she asked me what a cheque was.

I guess that was the joke of the day. Was it a scam? I really don’t know. I casually asked Leslie this morning what if I had won the RM 50,000. And he suggested that I go and pursue on some culinary courses and of course use the balance to start my little business empire. What will I do if that RM 50,000 was mine? Well I really don’t know. Honestly, I think I will be expected to donate some money and some people will expect me to treat them, but then again, RM 50, 000 is not a lot. I actually need RM 50,000 to pay up my PTPTN loan. Since the day I graduated, I was already in dept and I really don’t like to be in dept. So perhaps, RM 50,000 will be good to settle my loans hahaha

1 comment:

Janice said...

Jenn, I can assure you that you were scammed.. we often received this kind of call. the first thing they will ask is, 'can you speak mandarin?' then bla bla bla then they will start the story like what u've said. this is a very popular way of cheating nowadays. so we normally just answer in english and they will hang up. beware~!