Friday, November 09, 2007

Are you drunk?

The word Drunk, what does it mean? According to the Little Oxford Dictionary, drunk means deprived of proper control of oneself by alcoholic liquor.

It’s been nearly eight months since I last met up with Chris and Steven. Today, they dropped by to have a light meal with me at the nearby shop and Steven decided to share a bottle of beer with me. All I had was just a small glass of beer and nothing more. When I went back, a friend commented that I was drunk, I asked why? I thought I had misbehaved and had shown signs and symptoms of a drunken person. The reason she gave me was that she could smell beer when I burped and that my face was a little blushed.

Yes I did drink but I was not drunk and I thought it was pretty misleading for her to use the word drunk on me though I strongly believe that she was being naive when she used the word drunk. Just imagine if she went around telling people that Jenn was drunk last night. Can you imagine what would people think of me? What might run in people’s mind might be that I lost my self control and drank till I lost myself. My reputation might also be ruined because people might think that I am an alcoholic when I’m not.

I feel that sometimes people tend to make a big fuss over drinks. For me, it’s ok to have a glass or two of alcohol and it is not fair to label any person as bad or alcoholic just because they enjoy a glass or two of liquor. I am not an avid drinker, but I cannot deny that I do enjoy Wine, Tapai, Tuak, Baileys and sometimes beer. Even though I enjoy them, I only drink them during special occasions, when there is a reason to celebrate or when I’m in the midst of some really good company.

There is a big bottle of Brandy in my cabinet and some students were stunned to find it there. Rumors went round among some of them that I was a hard liquor expert. I don’t drink brandy and I can’t because it’s too strong for me but I use a lot of brandy in cooking and baking, mind you Sugee and fruit cakes are not complete without brandy in it. I also keep a bottle of Lee Heng ( Sabahan Wine) in the fridge because it makes gingered chicken soup taste perfect

Liquor, such a wonderful creation yet being accused by some as sinful and poisonous. It is wonderful because every sip of it brings delight to the tongue, and yet, it is sinful because many have become addicted to it and have over consumed it resulting misconducts, causing those who over consume it to become a nuisance to those around them.

I know of some people who just love alcohol and consume them as if it was water or soft drink. I guess I am in no position to comment on them but I think it is pretty sad when people become addicted to it, to loose control of themselves for the sake of alcohol. When this happens, the drink that is meant for pleasure becomes a poison, a sinful drink.

Perhaps it’s a good idea then for liquors to be pricey so that most of us will think twice before we buy it and may each time we consume it be a special moment.





Cheers to our imaginary champagne (actually it's sparkling juice)

No comments: