Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Our newspaper man lost his home early this week when bulldozers came to clear Kampung Buah Pala. It is actually hard to believe that Kampung Buah Pala will never be what it used to be again. In fact, I wonder if Jalan Kaki Bukit too will still be there in years to come. Bukit Glugor will be different with that village gone.


Jalan Kaki Bukit is the steepest road in Bukit Glugor, it is almost impossible to cycle up the road as it is too steep. I always had a sense of achievement each time I successfully cycled up to the top of the road without having to push my bicycle. Going up and down that hill was like an adventure itself. It was dangerous yet thrilling. I will never ever be able to do that again because Jalan Kaki Bukit has been sealed by the developer who will soon build Oasis- Condominiums on that piece of land. I'm going to miss the cows and goats that moo as they pass by my house and the smell of their dungs too. Dogs in our area will not have dungs to roll onto and cows to bark at anymore.


It is so sad to see the change take place in our housing area IN THE NAME OF DEVELOPMENT. For who is the development for? I really wonder. How could that piece of land be sold when there were so many families dwelling in it? Machines are going to come in. Our roads are going to be damaged, there's going to be pollution in the air in our once peaceful little housing area of Bukit Glugor.......

2 comments:

Chris Wee SJ said...

Penang is quite the news these days and I guess politics, because it is in the hands of the opposition, has helped to make it more a place to look at to see if it is anywhere in comparison with the past. I missed the ol Terengganu too but under the name of development, I could not recognise certain parts and got lost in how to drive as even the road changed. It is indeed to say or criticise under the name of development. If it is genuinely to help the people, then it is good though those good old sentimental place has to go. But if it is about competition, about a political self-glory, about a self-motive, then it is bad. I am still amazed at political parties when both claimed to care for the people but could not cooperate with each other for the people. Sigh

jennvaz said...

Well said Fr.