Wednesday, June 03, 2009

I gave up an opportunity to earn extra yesterday. I thought for a while before telling my supervisor that I was willing to give up three hours of my overtime to a new lecturer. It was a painful decision as I really could do with some extra money and I was so tempted to push myself to work extra hours despite the awareness that I would not perform well in class anymore due to the workload.

I wondered if I was a fool to let go of the money. I wondered if my reason of letting go was because I was just too lazy to work a little harder. But then again, what kind of life would I be living if I pursued on my desires? I won't even have time to spend with anyone, there will be no more social life at all. All my weekends will be used to mark assignments and exercises and I might just end up being a moody lecturer. I would not have anytime to bake cakes and cook, neither will I have anytime to prepare for the wedding.

Today, I got my new timetable. I was glad, I now have some space to breathe, I now have time for students who come in for consultation. I now have time to have short conversations with my colleagues, I now have time to prepare for lessons in campus. Oh! How I wish I lived in a world where money is not a necessity!

2 comments:

drumsticks said...

Hey Jenn,

You didn't make a mistake of letting go of the money.. after all, you probably be missing out on other more important things such as friends, family, rest, and ur preparation for ur wedding etc.. Opportunities will always come and go, maybe in another way or form. And u'll be more prepared to take up the next opportunity when it comes. So no worries.. :) There will always be blessings in disguise in any route you take, gal. :)

Cheers!

jani said...

I agree with your decision. Its not all about money.
I also can have tuitions that give me extra income, but to think that extra income making me less time for myself and for family and for my students and for my own works, I rather earn less.