Thursday, November 13, 2008

It's been a busy week. I hardly found time to sit and even check my mails. What's so busy about life? Honestly, I don't really know.

My students are presenting this week and sometimes I get disheartened listening to them. I wonder how much effort did they put in. Did they expect me to simply pass them as long as they presented? Half of those who presented did not even know what they were presenting. Rich and interesting topics they had but they wasted the opportunity by copying information from the Internet, using confusing scientific and bombastic words in their presentation. Even an easy topic such as 'The Benefits of Drinking Water' can be difficult to understand because she sourced her points from some science website.

Plagiarism has become such a norm among students that it destroys them. I warned them over and over again to be original and not copy from the Internet but they would not listen. I approached some of them prior the the presentation yet they made no improvement. It is interesting to know that some are not even bothered to make changes even after you give them a second chance. You give the opportunities to re-do before grading them but they just don't care. 'It's ok teacher, you just give the marks, never mind, I will accept what you give me' is what they tell me.

Am I really busy? I don't think so, I think I'm disturbed by the things that I see this week and that is why I'm less hyper.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jenn, I went through the same thing when I was assigned as the lab demo for the first year physics undergrad. They copied their friends' lab reports from the earlier weeks and when it came to their turn to carry out the lab experiments, they simply 'copy and paste' the data, and sometimes I found it was amazing to find out that these students came out with a nicely tabled data and smoothly plotted on the graphs. They even managed to complete the experiment within a very short period of time (some even already had a complete raw data even before the experiment was implemented), whereas I remember how I used to be having bad times executing the same experiments, sometimes repeated them in the following weeks, until I got them rite and really understood them..heheh. guess what I did? before I could approve and put a signature on their raw data,(which was supposed to be handed over at the end of each experiment so that they won't cheat and manipulate their data in the lab reports), I asked them to show me how did they set up the apparatus etc., and suddenly everybody was quiet. I didn't utter a word but only smiled (cynically) at them. I guessed they understood me and they started to do the experiment seriously since then. In science, honesty is essential too.