Saturday, November 08, 2008

The irony

I was about to buy some kuihs from the sundry shop near my house when I saw a teenage boy change his school uniform to jeans and t-shirt. It was obvious that he was playing truant. Why would someone need to change their school uniform at 8am when classes in school had only just begun?
He walked into the shop and started to buy drinks and cigarette when the shop owner asked him if he wanted some kuihs as well.
Lady: Dik, mau kuih?
Boy: Siapa buat punya?
Lady: Beli punya lah, bukan saya buat.
Boy: Melayu buat ah?
Lady: Tentu lah, mana saya boleh suruh cina buat. Ini Tun Sardon punya la. (Tun Sardon is a Malay area)
Boy: Aunty you jangan tipu I, kalo itu cina buat punya gua tak nak beli. You pun tau, orang cina buat punya kuih tak halal, nanti kalo gua makan, gua payah.
(lady looks at me and starts to get annoyed)
Lady: Aiyo, semua customer Melayu I pun tau ini orang Melayu buat punya.
The boy buys the kuih and walks off puffing his cigarette.
Lady: Yam kung, make so much fuss about my kuih whether halal or not but can skip school and smoke cigarette like nobody’s business. Don’t know what kind of kids parents raise these days. You know some of them walk into my shop and just take and eat what they want but never pay.
I would be annoyed to if I were in her shoes but what I thought was interesting was the irony behind his constant demand that the kuih has to be halal. I wonder if he considered playing truant as halal.
Honestly, it saddens me to see these kids loafing outside the shops every morning on my way to work. I wonder if their parents are aware of what their children are up to. Children look up to their elder siblings or friends as role models and the sight of these students loafing outside the shops is not a pleasant sight, younger children might just be influenced to do the same.

1 comment:

Kim said...

I'm tempted to call the boy off. Better, ask for his name and IC to report to his parents and teachers.