Monday, June 30, 2008

Ever since I came back from Sydney, I have been a regular hiker. I go hiking whenever I can at Bukit Jambul. The journey is not very long if one uses the two most common routes, he or she will take between 10 - 30 minutes to reach the top of the hill. Though the journey seems to be a little too short, it serves as an excellent cardiovascular exercise to many, thanks to the steepness of the hill.
I enjoy my hikes up the hill. It provides me with a sense of satisfaction to reach the top. The satisfaction is even greater when I beat my own timing. My first hike up took me 30 minutes but I improved my timing as time went by. These days, it takes me between 10-15 minutes to reach the top. I am still not contented with my time, I believe I can improve my time by increasing my speed in time to come. I don’t intent to push myself too hard though, I have to be kind to my own body and also to my heart.
Bukit Jambul has been a safe place to hike thus far, it is rarely isolated in the mornings and evenings and many friendships were cultivated through hiking. Regulars would notice and greet each other along the way. Many people have small chats when they take their rest on the top of the hill and some regulars actually came together to create a little service centre for the public at the top of the hill. The top of the hill is not very wide but they have actually built a wooden gym, equipped with old fashioned gym facilities for men especially to do their weight training. Besides that, there are also a few simple common exercise equipments at the open space and there is a little shed that serves drinks to all hikers for free. Everyone uses the place responsibly as if it was their own home.
I appreciate the efforts of those volunteers who set up the place. I enjoy my hikes and feel very much at home whenever I’m there. I guess this is one of the beauties of Penang, despite the vast development in the state, such pleasant environments still exists. Little things like this makes me glad to be home.


Web Counter

No comments: