Thursday, May 08, 2008

5th May 08

While I was at her place, I was invited by Simmi to join her friend Mr. Ho Liao for a hike up the Bukit Jambul Hill today, though I was not dressed for exercise, I accepted the invitation. And so, Mr. Ho Liao drove us there in his Avanza.

The Bukit Jambul Hill is not an easy hill to climb, it is popular for it’s steepness. Last Saturday, when I hiked up the hill for the first time, my heart pump so hard that I felt like it was going to pop out anytime from my mouth. Mr. Ho Liao is a good badminton player but has a big build and weights easily over 100 hundred Kg. He was hiking up the hill for the first time after a long time. As we walked through the tracks, we could hear Mr. Ho Liao huff and puff all the way. Yes he was struggling like how I was on Saturday. There were moments when he had to stop and grab a tree to catch a breath. Halfway through our journey, he shouted at us, telling us to go ahead without him and that he was turning back. He could not take it anymore. And so we continued our journey without him.

Along the way, I felt bad for Mr. Ho Liao, I wondered how he felt. I knew, if I was in his shoes, I’d definitely see myself as a burden to others and loose hope. Anyway, me and Simmi made it to the top and I was nearly out of breath. After resting awhile, we headed down as soon as we could so that Mr. Ho Liao would not have to wait too long. As we were beginning to make our journey down, Simmi spotted a figure in red making it’s way up, it was actually Mr Ho Liao. He did not turn back, he actually managed to make his way up the hill.

I don’t know Mr. Ho Liao well, but when I saw him make his way up the hill, I just clapped, I wanted to run to him and give him a hug for reaching the top, but of course I did not lah, It would be so weird if I did. I was amazed by his perseverance, I admired his determination, to continue to push on even though he was at the verge of giving up. What I saw in Mr. Ho Liao today motivates me. I’m sure if I go exercising often with him, there should be no problem for me to gain back my fitness.

No comments: