Friday, April 11, 2008

The way home

I went to the Gleebe just now via Broadway. It was pleasant and interesting to walk around the town that surrounds University of Sydney which is by the way the oldest university in Australia. I thought the campus was beautiful and I couldn't imagine myself as a student there. As usual, I saw more Asians than Ang Moh's around the campus. Oriental students to be specific. I also learned that one can easily identify a Malaysian student the moment he/she opens their mouth. Manglish sounds really funny in Australia and to be honest many of us are not very soft spoken. So in other words, it can be very mempersiasuikan.Sigh...but that's what we are isn't it?

Since I've been over eating of late, i decided to walk all the way back to my sister's apartment in Kensington, it was a one hour walk. I took the Surry Hills route and I had a fright of my life there. There were a few drunks on the street, drunks who picked on passer-bys for attention. I know that such encounters are a norm here but i did not expect it to happen at daylight. What saddened me was a young lady, probably my age or younger who was so drunk that she was out of her mind. She danced on the walkway and spoke loudly to nobody. I felt sorry for her. I had difficulty accepting the fact that she is so young and yet her life seems to be in such a mess. I found it to be terribly disturbing.

I have become immune to seeing beggars and homeless people on the street but whenever I see young people amongst these people, my heart really aches. I cannot imagine myself in their shoes.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Jenn,

sorry lah but wat mempersiasuikan? I have poor vocab of Hokkien.hehe I stopped by Fr. Chris' blog and left a comment there, the one which had the trees at FRIM. Nice to know that Janice did dropped by too. Anyway, it is frightening to learn that one so young or even our peers do encounter "mess" in their lives,I had my share too which has helped me grow as well as learning from others. Some can get help while others simply failed to be helped.

alex lee

jennvaz said...

Very true Alex, by the way, merpersiasuikan means something similar to humiliating