Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Syiokalingam

I'm back from Hunter Valley, it was a fantastic weekend spent with some great people who made the trip a total "Syiokalimgam".

We stayed over at the Indian Ridge, a wooded cottage filled with red Indian elements. There the eight of us cooked and played games as we sipped on a great variety of fine wines. The whole idea of going to Hunter Valley was to hunt for good wines and we completed this assignment pretty well by filling the car booths with boxes of wine.

There are more than two hundred wineries in hunter valley, none of it produces the same product, every winery has a character of it's own and tasting these wines itself is an adventure of it's own. What I liked about this trip was that we got to taste different types of wine for free and we were not obligated to buy from any wineries despite the great hospitality. It was also enjoyable to meet the person behind the counter, each of them had a story to tell, some of them were so down to earth that all of us left the place smiling from ear to ear.

I'm not an avid wine drinker, neither do I know much about wine but that did not stop me from enjoying myself. So, if you are visiting Australia, do include winery tours in your activity lists. Of course, it'll be more enjoyable to visit it with friends so that you can discuss your experience with.



(the syiokalingam group playing with puppies and having a good time at Briar Ridge winery. It was the best, I loved all their wine)

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

shiok nyer !!! "jelousy-ness" =D

jennvaz said...

Sik payah ko jelous sebab I pun jelous sama hidup ko skrang...sama-sama kita jelous lah ye

Anonymous said...

Ooo...Jim Briskman's Valentine featuring Martina Mcbride. One of my all-time favourite songs!!! Good taste, Jenn! I'm just dropping by to say "Hi!" I reckon you're a Malaysian presently studying in OZ??? Melbourne???

CaroL Magdalene said...

hi Jenn:)

i think by now you can differentiate so many wines variety.
O btw how far is hunter's valley from sydney? maybe i should visit there the next time i go to sydney..hehe

Take care..

jennvaz said...

THank you Mr. Suituapui for your very encouraging comment. Valentine is my bf's favorite, so I'm playing it inconjunction with his birthday. It's an honor to have you dropping by. I'm just here in Sydney for a holiday visiting my sister. I'm a Penang mali punya budak.

Carol, hunter valley is 2 1/2 hour rive from Sydney, near to Newcastle (not the English one ah), there are many other wineries in Oz, so even if you are not in Sydney, you still can go wine hunting. Winery in Canberra was not too bad actually. By the way, most wines sold in the wineries CANNOT be found in the market, not even the bottle shop in town unless they say so.

Anonymous said...

Goodie! I go to Penang pretty often cos my daughter is studying in the teachers' institute in Sg Petani!!! Hope to meet up some day!!!

jennvaz said...

Oh sure, it'll be interesting to meet you in person.

Anonymous said...

wow STP!! jim brisk? man.. and martina mcbride... the gift, valentine.. all my fave.. haha soooo compatible hor?

hey, STP gonna meet Jenn? Do call me along.. :)

jennvaz said...

oh Mary, you a Suituapui fan? Hahahaha