Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Kangaroo and Emu

I was at the parliament in Canberra this morning. The guided tour was fantastic. I liked the idea of them choosing the Kangaroo and Emu as their mascot. Both these animals have one thing in common, that is they only move forward, the nature of both these animals is that they cannot move backwards, therefore, they always look ahead.

Sometimes I wished we human beings are like these two animals, we tend to look behind so much that we become so afraid to move forward. Sadly for many, the bad experienced from the past seems to play a more dominant role in our lives in comparison to the good memories. We spend more time mourning than celebrating so much so that we forget what our life is all about. No doubt, we need to look back at times and learn from our past, however, if we constantly cling on to our past and fear to proceed because of history, then we leave no opportunity for ourselves to experience the future.

I could not help but laugh at myself at the parliament. Here I am, exploring and understanding the Australian parliament when I know so little of the Malaysian parliament. Our guide was wonderful, he gave us a very detailed explanation of how things ran in the house, he shared with us on some historical facts and I found the experience to be very enlightening. I’ve been to 3 guided tours in Australia so far, all of them were free and they were very well done by passionate volunteers who don’t get paid for what they do. Wonderful isn’t it?
The Education site for the parliament, it's good.

No comments: