Monday, March 31, 2008

Ferry no more?

"BUTTERWORTH: The Penang Port Sdn Bhd (PPSB) will scrap the vehicular ferry service between Penang island and Seberang Prai once the expansion of the Penang Bridge is completed in September next year.
PPSB chief operating officer Mohd Niana Merican Abd Kadir Merican said the remaining four vehicular-cum-passenger ferries would continue to operate despite suffering operating losses.
He said the company also planned to operate a speedboat ferry service as it was cheaper and efficient......."(the star online)

My hear sank when I read this news. The ferry has always been an icon of the state. I had loved that vehicle since I was a kid and it has left many fond memories. The idea of stopping it's services devastates me.
Penang is loosing it's authenticness in the name of development. I wonder if Penang can still be unique in ten years time?

2 comments:

mel said...

Maybe you could write a letter to your new state government & see if that helps?

jennvaz said...

i did consider doing that. Thank goodness the Chief Minister commented on this matter and has urged the company to reconsider....guess i will see what happens in the next few days.