Friday, November 09, 2007

My Deepavali Breakfast

It was on Tuesday that I realized Deepavali was on Thursday. I asked those in Xavier Hall if they had plans on Thursday and some told me they were going to visit their Hindu friends while others gave me that look. The look that said “Hello, I’m in the midst of my exams and obviously I’m going to be studying.”

Pris had been telling me that every year during Deepavali, Sri Paandi the Indian Restaurant would serve free breakfast to their customers in appreciation to their loyal support. So some of us at Xavier Hall decided to drop by at the branch at Jalan Bukit for breakfast. We reached there at 7.30am and the crowed that gathered inside the shop was pretty similar to the Sunday morning crowd. Everyone looked happy and contented. Why wouldn’t they? We were served with Roti Canai, Puttu Mayam, Tosai, Iddli together with mutton and chicken and dhall curry. Teh and Kopi Tarik were bottomless and the servers were extra friendly then usual and some even gave extra attention to their favorite customers by constantly adding on food to their plates. While many remained asleep on their beds, we were feasting till our hearts content. When we left the shop, I was surprised to see the crowd that gathered outside the shop, waiting for their turn to grab a plate.

I don’t know who the owner of Sri Paandi is but he did make me a happy person yesterday and I am thankful for the little treat he gave us. And because of that little treat, Sri Paandi remains as one of my favorite Indian Restaurant unless their service becomes bad and the food become lousy. No, the owner did not bribe me to say such nice things about his shop hahahaha but honestly speaking, I have always liked going to Sri Paandi because the food there is reasonable and generally nice.

(Sri Paandi's deepavali well wishers waiting to go inside)

No comments: